Poinpy is the latest game from Downwell creator Ojiro Fumoto and was recently announced and released on Netflix’s mobile gaming platform. Much like Downwell, Poinpy is an absolutely delightful yet challenging puzzle platformer. You control a tiny dinosaur to collect fruit combinations/recipes to feed a giant cat monster behind your literal tail.
Poinpy has a surprising depth from the get-go with various strategies, upgrades, and mechanics. Increasing ranks adds more gear slots, extra jump balls, and golden seeds that can be used to unlock new gear.
Check out our top picks and upgrades for Fumoto’s new game below.
upgrades and equipment
The equipment room and the puzzle room are located to the left and right of the main room. These can easily be overlooked as the game prompts you to start another round immediately every time you restart. The equipment room on the left allows you to play a capsule minigame using golden seeds collected from lemons. The cost of the Capsule Machine (which unlocks new gear) increases with each use.
Make sure to use the Capsule Machine whenever you have enough Golden Seeds as they won’t be used for anything else. You don’t have to hesitate to save up for something else later, as gear is their only function.
Although each use of the capsule machine gives you three options, there are some that are better than others. Poinpy lets the player choose their own type of gear assortment by simply swapping to try different approaches. For example, you can use a set with more jump assist/verticality or any other combo that spawns more fruit to make the recipe easier to complete.
The top three gears to get when they appear in the rotation are Jumpy Boy, Prismer, and Voyager Rocket.
Jumpy Boy – Jumpy Boy adds an extra bullet! A good boy to help you by adding an extra jump.
In the beginning it may take some time to increase your rank to earn more jump balls. Jump balls provide more chances to complete recipes and most importantly, continue runs for much longer. Additional jump balls are awarded at rank 5 and 10. But if you have Jumpy Boy, you’ll get an extra jump, which is helpful in earlier ranks, especially since additional gear slots aren’t unlocked yet. Even if you only have one or two gear slots, Jumpy Boy is the ideal gear to add to others.
Prismer – After defeating an enemy, your next wall collision will always be a wall bounce.
Prismer adds increased wall bounce angle alongside power. Prismer is great and forgives an extra oomf after one of your walls bounces. You can use a wall jump after defeating an enemy to save a jump ball until Poinpy’s wall jump is complete. With Prismer you often get a relaxing/seamless opportunity/combo where a wall bounce leads to pot destruction, then a wall bounce, then a pot and so on. This type of combo earns Jump Orbs and takes you higher through the level without having to swipe for a while.
Voyager Rocket – Voyager Rocket lets you launch with more power! Combined with Prismer, they can take you to even greater heights – maybe even take off through space between the stars.
These three different gears offered an inherent advantage over the others on each run. If you ever see one of these, be sure to get it from the capsule machine.
Reap and Sow – How to Grow Golden Seeds
Golden Seeds allows you to use the capsule machine, and there are ways to increase the number of Golden Seeds collected on each playthrough. Sometimes you want to switch to a gear build focused on collecting Golden Seeds to unlock more gear options. There are two devices just for this sole purpose – Gold Card and Fox Savings.
Gold Card – Collecting Shiny Fruit gives you extra Golden Seeds – why not increase this amount by 3 times when you collect Shiny Fruit? Gold Card does this with ease.
Fox Savings grants you one, five, or 20 Golden Seeds for every pot you smash. As you head into each area, hop from pot to pot, giving each of those pots a chance to grant 20 Golden Seeds. Even if you only earn one Golden Seed from each pot, it adds up over time.
By combining Gold Card with Fox Savings, you can create a build focused on Golden Seed farming. Fox Savings greatly increases your Golden Seed accumulation. With this build, you can use the upgrade room more frequently to get Jumpy Boy, Prismer, and Voyager Rocket if you don’t already have them.
Fox Savings – Combining Fox Savings with Pot Form allows for more pots to spawn, and with more pots, even more Golden Seeds with Fox Savings will spawn.
Poinpy Perplexing puzzles
The puzzle room in the right room before a run allows you to solve puzzles. You need at least four Jumpy Orbs to reach the switch at the top and unlock Puzzle Mode. Completing each puzzle for the first time awards a set amount of Golden Seeds, with higher puzzle levels increasing Golden Seeds gained.
You’ll need to reach each area in the main game to unlock the next set of 5 puzzles, but Golden Seeds rewards upon completing a puzzle will help leverage more Capsule Machines, especially early on.
- Switch between builds that take you into new areas of the game and farm Golden Seeds every few runs.
- Working on a recipe at lower gourmet levels like gourmet level 1 will still give you bonus fruits to get huge multipliers. You want to get as many bonus fruits as possible, and if you get around 60 fruits from the easier starting recipes, you’ll go up to Gourmet level 20 without doing any more difficult recipes, e.g. B. ones that punish you for collecting certain fruits.
- When you’re in a bubble, Poinpy can take a free hit from an enemy if they collide with you.
- As long as your stomp hits something, you’ll bounce right back to where you were. With that in mind, consider stomping on enemies or pots from a great height. The Regular Spring gear even allows you to stomp on enemies or pots higher than your initial stomp position after landing.
- Complete recipes early if you are in a bad position without fruit. Claim your huge multiplayer bonus when things get too hectic. It’s better to finish a ready-made recipe early than to lose heart but still beat a low gourmet level.
- If you mess up a recipe, another recipe becomes available. So if you sometimes have trouble collecting a certain fruit that doesn’t appear often enough, reach for a fruit that’s recipe banned to reset it to a new recipe. The new recipe might be easier to get to.
- Hopefully these beginner tips have helped you or given you new ideas on how to play Poinpy!
The products discussed here have been independently selected by our editors. GameSpot may receive a portion of the revenue if you purchase something featured on our site.