If you have played Fire Emblem: Three Housesyou will recognize many game systems in at once Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes. Works as a kind of retelling of the Three houses In this game, players take on the role of a mercenary named Shez, who eventually joins the Officers’ Academy at Garreg Mach Monastery. As you’d expect, this means you have to choose one of three houses to join. three hopes has three different storylines or “routes” that go along with it. It’s a tough decision, but we’ll help give you a little guidance so you can get started three hopes.
What is different about each route?
Each of the three routes in three hopes has a different story that offers a unique perspective on the war in Fodlan. If Shez aligns with one side or the other, the course of events changes drastically, so a large part of choosing a route will simply come down to which characters you like best. Also note that each character has their own unique ability.
In each route you will have basically the same experience of upgrading your base camp, leveling up characters and playing through different missions on the world map to conquer regions. Note, however, that the Black Eagles route is slightly longer than the other three, with nearly 30 percent more event scenes. There are also two different story branches in each route, depending on whether you’re recruiting or fighting Byleth.
If you have played Three housesto think about three hopes in the same way, with Black Eagles being the more “advanced” route, while Golden Deer and Blue Lions being the easier. If you haven’t played Three houses, however, we’ll go through the playable character that you get with each house and what they focus on. It’s also important to note that there are additional characters that you’ll recruit along each route, but due to spoilers we won’t cover those.
Golden Stag – Golden Wildfire Route
A versatile bunch, the Golden Deer have more archers than any other house. Claude is of course the most specialized unit, and he’s the only character who can fire a bow while riding a Wyvern, which makes sense given his Wyvern Masterclass. Here are the main units available in Golden Wildfire and the classes they specialize in, as well as their unique abilities.
- Claude (Wyvern Master) – Dust Cloud ability infuses attacks with wind.
- Lorenz (Cavalier) – The Rondo of Roses ability can block enemy attacks when the meter is full, or attract enemies when used.
- Hilda (Robber) – The Lightning Bound ability allows you to hold down the attack button to increase damage and add lightning.
- Raphael (Brawler) – The Pure Brawn ability allows you to charge attacks for extra damage.
- Lysithea (Sorceress) – The Curse Release ability causes enemies to explode when knocked into the air.
- Ignatz (Archer) – Dreamer’s Paintbrush ability spatters the ground in pain. Enemies that run in color take elemental damage.
- Marianne (Priest) – The Snowslide ability automatically rains down ice attacks when you hit 300.
- Leonie (Cavalier) – Careful study attacks increase normal attack count by 2x.
Blue Lions – Route of Azure Gloss
Focusing almost entirely on physical attackers, the Blue Lions have very few characters who specialize in magic or bows. Dmitri has the High Lord class, which has one of the highest sheer damage output in the game and a powerful long-range spear throw for his strong attack. Here are the Blue Lions students.
- Dmitri (High Lord) – The Azure Lightning ability imbues attacks with lightning.
- Dedue (Armored Knight) – The Demolisher ability allows you to hold down the attack button to perform blast attacks on impact that hit a small area.
- Felix (Mercenary) – The Intense Velocity ability allows you to dodge in the middle of an attack and then increase your speed.
- Mercedes (Priest) – The Radiant Love ability gradually restores HP and fills the gauge. When the gauge fills up, you can unleash an attack that damages enemies and heals allies.
- Ashe (Archer) – The Wind Stance ability causes Ashe to aim at the ground and create a damaging wind zone.
- Ante (Mage) – The Brave Aria ability slowly filled the ability gauge when attacking. When full, you can use a move that buffs yourself and nearby allies.
- Sylvain (Cavalier) – The Gordian Strike ability increases attack range and damage proportionately above 300 hits.
- Ingrid (Pegasus Knight) – The Icy Plunge ability causes enemies to explode and deals ice damage when thrown into the air.
Black Eagles – Scarlet Blaze route
The Black Eagles have the strongest magic users in the game and a big focus on ranged attacks. Edelgard is one of the best defensive units in the game with her Armored Lord class, making her an extremely efficient tank in battle. Here are the students of the Black Eagles.
- Edelgard (Armored Lord) – The Solar Prominence ability imbues attacks with fire.
- Hubert (Mage) – Dark Summoning ability has a low chance of impaling enemies with dark spikes. Press the ability button to detonate the spikes.
- Dorothea (Mage) – The Prismatic Resonance ability causes musical notes to appear on the battlefield. Attacking the notes sends out a shock wave.
- Ferdinand (Cavalier) – Maximum Ambulation grants a speed increase proportional to the number of hits above 300 hits.
- Bernadetta (Archer) – Using the ability button creates a zone of ice that increases rage on critical hits.
- Caspar (Brigant) – The One for the Books ability allows you to hold down the attack button to charge up, which increases attack range and damage dealt.
- Petra (Thief) – The Wind Storm ability slightly increases dodge instances. Evasive maneuvers deal very little wind damage.
- Linhardt (Mage) – Light Breezy ability creates two wind globes when you perform a final regular attack. These bullets attack even a small range.
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is currently available for Nintendo Switch.