Everything they said about each other

Everything they said about each other

Elon Musk and Bill Gates don’t seem to agree based on recent comments they’ve made about each other — but that’s hardly a surprise.

Musk, who is considered the richest person in the world as CEO of Tesla and SpaceX, has been critical of Gates in recent days over short positions the Microsoft co-founder holds on Tesla.

In the world of finance, holding a short position means you are betting that the price of a certain asset, e.g. B. shares in a company, will fall in value. has musk estimated that Gates’ Tesla short positions are worth billions of dollars.

Elon Musk and Bill Gates have clashed over philanthropy and climate change over the years. Above, Musk (L) is seen at a satellite conference in Washington, DC in March 2020 and Gates (R) is seen at a malaria summit in London, England in April 2018.
Getty/Jack Taylor/Win McNamee

In April, screenshots of an alleged text message between Musk and Gates appeared to show that Gates had invited Musk to talk to him about “philanthropy opportunities.” Musk declined as Gates continues to hold his short positions in Tesla – something Gates confirmed in the same conversation.

“Sorry, but I can’t take your climate change philanthropy seriously when you have a massive short position on Tesla, the company that is making the biggest contribution to solving climate change,” Musk wrote, per the images.

musk Approved that the conversation was genuine in a tweet, suggesting it had been leaked to the press by “friends of friends.”

Gates was asked about the exchange in one interview with journalist and YouTuber Hugo Travers on the HugoDécrypte channel.

“Well, Tesla is not short of capital and Tesla has done a fantastic job; their cars are great,” Gates said, but added, “I spend a lot more money on climate change than Elon or anyone else.

“Cars account for about 16 percent of emissions, so we need to solve the other 84 percent, too,” he said.[Musk has] did a great job, but someone shorting the stock doesn’t slow them down or hurt them in any way.”

musk answered to a clip of the interview posted on Twitter with a “sigh”.

Musk previously criticized Gates on Twitter for his short positions against Tesla, wrote in one tweet on May 28 that he has “trust issues” with Gates because he has “a multi-billion dollar short position on Tesla while claiming to contribute to global warming.”

Aside from brief positions, Gates will be speaking on an episode of journalist Kara Swisher in 2021 Vary Podcast, praised Musk for making “one of the biggest contributors to climate change” with Tesla, but added that he “doesn’t think rockets are the solution,” referring to Musk’s SpaceX project.

He also said that Tesla is doing a good job on “simple things” like cars, but that the world isn’t doing enough on “hard things” like steel, cement and meat.

In 2020, on another episode of Musk, Musk called Gates a “Knucklehead.” Vary after Gates questioned Musk’s knowledge of the coronavirus pandemic. Musk that same year accused Gates having “no idea” about the value of electric trucks after Gates expressed doubts about their usefulness because their batteries were too bulky.

Gates wrote in an August 2020 blog post, “Even with major breakthroughs in battery technology, electric vehicles will likely never be a practical solution for things like 18-wheelers, cargo ships, and passenger jets. Electricity works when you need to travel short distances, but for heavy long-haul vehicles we need a different solution.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.